Our Lead Website Developer is responsible for the development of Atom’s website experiences,
ensuring all development work is undertaken in line with our technology standards, following best
practice in terms of code development, management and deployment. This role also oversees the day
to day management of an additional Website Developer to ensure effective execution of
They will take full advantage of their skills to create compelling mobile first digital interfaces for our
target, customer and broker audiences, overseeing all technical development and changes to our
websites. Working with design and marketing colleagues, they will be accountable for the delivery of a
best-in-class customer experience that brings to life the Atom brand and that is aligned to our strategy
to digitise and disrupt.
Collaboratively working with internal and external development, design and marketing teams, they will
provide technical expertise and guidance, promoting and reinforcing coding and execution standards
to meet accessibility and accepted technical standards. They will work with Atom’s technical teams to
ensure our websites have a robust infrastructure and are fully supported 24/7. Where necessary,
Atom’s coding assets and patterns will be fully documented to ensure smooth running of the website
and consistent execution of Atom’s visual identity.
Specifically, they will be responsible for the front-end development of the Atom website, supporting
on-going enhancements and ensuring the site reflects Atom’s high digital standards. They will work
alongside the Marketing Team to ensure optimised website performance and enhance website
The role holder will be on stand-by to ensure any website issues needing front-end development
support can be resolved quickly, working alongside the Service Delivery and website teams.
• Develop and build responsive digital experiences with a mobile first approach, with specific
responsibility for the on-going development of our Atom websites.
• Create accessible digital elements, assets and visual treatments that adapt to, influence and
complement Atom’s user journeys.
• Assess the performance and effectiveness of our website code – iterate and improve as
• Create and manage website coding standards and patterns, aligned with our wider technology
team standards, ensuring consistency, rapidity and security of application.
• Coach and manage the day to day deliveries of an additional Website Developer, ensuring keyman
risk related to our front-end developer skills is adequately covered.
• Ensure quick and effective resolution of website issues where front-end development work is
required to fix the issue, minimising website service disruption. As required, be on stand-by (out of
office hours) to resolve website front-end issues.
• Work in an agile way across development, design and marketing teams to optimise and
enhance website performance.
• Be an advocate of the brand by ensuring all creative broadcast is of the highest quality of
Atom’s visual standards. Be an ambassador for Design Excellence.
• Contribute and adhere to visual style guides to ensure consistent delivery across platforms.
• Keep up to date with external trends, competitor and wider brand design work, delivering a
clear point of view on best-in-class design and current trends. Actively demonstrate this
expertise in the work produced and invest in keeping design skills up to date.
• Take responsibility for personal development, recognising when you need to develop your
skill-set and request training accordingly.
• Oversee all website developer outputs, ensuring quality, effective workflow management and
approvals. Take personal responsibility for identifying and managing the risks associated with
Key Performance Indicator:
• Customer NPS scores.
• Customer feedback on our website experience and customer journeys and overall
performance through Siteimprove.
• Volume of expressions of dissatisfaction/complaints directly related to website design.
• Positive affirmation from the rest of the business and frontline customer facing team feedback.
• ‘open’ and ‘repeat’ risk events related to the technical delivery of our website.
• Award winning website accolades.
• At least 5 years professional experience and a body of work to evidence this.
• A strong understanding and practitioner of industry good practice for web development.
• Expert grasp of:
o Gatsby (or other static-site generators)
o Styled-components (or any other CSS-in-JS capabilities)
o HTML 5
• Detail oriented yet efficient – ability to prioritise effectively, working accurately and quickly.
• Good communication skills to enable discussion of concepts with developers, designers and
• Experience of working collaboratively in cross-discipline design teams with exposure to
designing customer journeys and a strong appreciation of UX and developer disciplines.
• Evidence of strong conceptual thinking and understanding of best-in-class design, embracing
new technologies and creative thinking.
• Give and take constructive feedback to/from other designers and developers to continually
• Passion and drive.
• Proactive approach to personal development and keeping up to date with design best
• Understanding data handling with either GraphQL or RESTful APIs
• Using third party technologies to benefit a project such as Netlify, Algolia, Contentful etc.
• Solid grasp of Sketch and Adobe design suite applications
• An understanding of automated tests such as Jest are beneficial
• Contributor to Github/Gitlab/Bitbucket
• Experience of people management.
Next steps: how to apply.
Email your application to email@example.com with the job title you’re
applying for in the subject heading and attach your CV. This is your chance to be you.
The legal bit.
If you send us your CV we’ll use your details when we’re looking at your application
for this job. We’ll also store your CV for six months in case any roles that we think
you’d be a great fit for become available.
If you don’t want us to use your details for this, or if you’d like any further information