Job Title: Business Support Specialist – Maternity Cover
Department: Sunderland Software City
Responsible to: Chief Operating Officer – Sunderland Software City
Salary Range: £28K – £32K
Term: 8 months fixed term with possible extension. Secondment opportunities also considered.
Sunderland Software City (SSC) is a publicly funded, privately led initiative which has the remit of encouraging economic development through the provision of support to North East based software companies.
By supporting software companies to start and grow the North East can build on its reputation as a home to innovation and provide career opportunities for today’s and tomorrow’s generations.
SSC also leads the consortium of universities and LEPs to be one of four regional digital catapult centres known as the North East and Tees Valley Digital Catapult that is based at the Software Centre in Sunderland. The focus for this catapult centre is the around digital manufacturing, emerging technologies and the data value chain.
The Digital Innovation Partnership project is part financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) programme that is managed by the Ministry for Housing Communities and Local Government.
You will part of the frontline team providing support to the growing number of technology businesses in the North East of England. Your role will be to engage businesses, understand their needs and ensure the SSC offering can support them.
You will deliver both support direct to business – such as business planning, financial modelling and advice on business development – as well referring clients to our wider range of innovative solutions for tech companies, including our intelligence service, technical due diligence offering and innovation road mapping.
We work with a wide range of businesses, from new start-ups to established companies, from micro businesses to companies with significant turnovers. You will need to be competent, plausible and reliable when dealing with all these types of clients as well as having the flexibility to work in a dynamic team that all support each other’s roles.
Key Job Roles
· To provide a coordinated, integrated and comprehensive range of business support services to clients of Sunderland Software City, these include:
o Business planning support;
o Business development assistance;
o Building and maintaining strong relationships with businesses and other support providers:
o Appropriate signposting to appropriate business support initiatives;
· To coordinate and communicate activities in conjunction with other partner’s activities, including those from universities, local authorities and other private and public sector offerings;
· To proactively seek out and engage with regional tech companies;
· Raising awareness of Sunderland Software City’s support offering to individuals and companies across the North East:
· Overall responsibility for the recording and monitoring of client interactions.
· Ability to network and build new contacts;
· Excellent communication and organisational skills;
· General understanding of business operations and legislation;
· Comfortable with public speaking;
· Knowledge of all business functions i.e. marketing, sales, finance etc
· Proven experience in a business support environment;
· A broad overview of the technology and tech sector in the North East of England;
· Proven knowledge and experience of tech industry and needs of businesses in the sector;
· Knowledge of the business support networks regionally and nationally;
· An understanding of how to manage European Regional Development Funding (ERDF) and associated monitoring;
· A strong understanding of Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems.
To apply for this position, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter outlining your key skills and qualifications to Billy Webber firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 5pm on Wednesday 8th May 2019