The position of Investment Associate is an exciting opportunity for a bright and highly ambitious graduate with over two years’ experience, to work directly for the Managing Partner and Director of the investment businesses led by Richard Harpin, one of the UK’s most successful entrepreneurs.
Richard is the founder and CEO of HomeServe plc, the FTSE 250 international home repairs and improvements business and he is also personally funding two successful investment businesses:
- Growth Partner – supporting entrepreneurial founders of consumer businesses to substantially scale by investing long term patient capital for minority stakes. Growth Partner offers a wealth of experience and expertise in providing strategic support, mentorship and advice. More information is available here; www.growthpartner.co.uk; and
- Capital Property Partners – a property investment business that is creating value by developing residential property and broader strategies. More information is available here; www.capitalproprertypartners.co.uk.
The Investment Associate role is a unique opportunity to join the business at an exciting time when significant investment is being made to develop the businesses, with an increasing pipeline of new investment opportunities alongside the strategic development of the existing portfolio.
The right candidate will have the potential to develop their career in several different directions in the future in an investment role within Growth Partner or Capital Property Partners, or working within one of the high growth companies that Growth Partner has invested in.
Key role responsibilities
- Market research into new ideas and business opportunities, including market research studies (online desktop research, surveys, focus groups) and sector focussed investment opportunity identification and appraisal. Researching and preparing case studies, discussion documents and recommendations based on internal and external learnings. Developing pre-reading and materials: e.g. for strategy review meetings of portfolio companies.
- Preparing internal and external presentations on behalf of the Managing Partner and Director.
- Supporting business development, including writing to external business leaders on behalf of Richard, the Managing Partner or Director, attending meetings and identifying and briefing potential partners e.g. marketing agencies and search firms.
- Supporting the Managing Partner and Director’s day to day management and efficiency: preparing briefing notes for meetings, daily actions/follow ups, technology support.
- Support ad hoc projects within the business depending on business needs: for example, organising an ‘Entrepreneur’s Retreat’ involving existing and target businesses.
- Supporting the marketing and social media activity of the business and other strategic communication activity including press releases and their distribution.
- Developing the online presence.
- Updating and improving our corporate websites.
- Development of online content and channels, notably LinkedIn and Twitter presence.
- Intelligent, adaptable, creative and confident.
- High work output: able to juggle multiple priorities.
- Good judgement and the ability to make sense of ambiguity & complexity.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrable interest in entrepreneurial businesses & markets.
- Ambitious with a great attitude (and low ego).
- Willing to travel.
- Graduate of a good university with at least 2.1 or equivalent.
- Business experience, likely to be around two years in consulting, market research, finance, marketing or investment management, although open to considering candidates with other experience.
- Experience of working or travelling outside of the UK and adapting to other cultures.
- Has made a significant impact in a particular area of interest such as Charity, Volunteering, Politics, Education, etc.