1. Request for quotation
You are invited to submit a proposal to provide Sunderland Software City with resource to undertake innovation road-mapping consultancy to our end beneficiaries (small to medium size enterprises as defined by the European Commission
Sunderland Software City (SSC) is a publicly funded, privately led initiative which has the remit of encouraging economic development through the provision of support to North East based SMEs. SSC are delivery partners in the Digital Innovation Partnership project which is part financed by the European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF), managed by the Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG). By supporting SMEs to start and grow, the North East can build on its reputation as a home to innovation and provide career opportunities for today’s and tomorrow’s generations. SSC aims to ensure that the software sector in this region has the right facilities, the right business support, the right connections and crucially the world class workforce it needs to compete on a global stage.
The Market Need
SSC clients are highlighting the need for innovation road-mapping support and these
demands continue to grow. This service will help eligible SMEs:
• Understand how their current products and services can be sold into new sectors;
• Understand how their current markets and customers are evolving and how this may impact their business and/or business model;
• Develop appropriate messaging to support the deployment of new products or services into current or new marketplaces.
SSC require a consultant to deliver innovation road-mapping strategies to 60 eligible SMES over 27 months within the North East of England. The purpose of this is to help SMEs to understand how new and existing products and services can be brought to a new market. Each client will receive a minimum of 12 hours consultancy time which will consist of an initial fact-finding meeting, the creation of a high-level innovation road-mapping strategy, followed by a coaching session to explain how to implement the strategy.
3. Delivery Requirements
The delivery requirements for this work should meet the following criteria:
• Target market review with price, position and branding recommendations.
• Positioning statement.
• Competitor review.
• Regional, National and International growth opportunities.
• Digital marketing tactics to take forward.
• Traditional marketing tactics to take forward.
We will expect outcomes of this work to be:
• Support to external businesses in the form of:
o Initial client engagement after an introduction from a SSC team member.
o Attendance at client meetings.
o Provision of documents to clients as and when needed.
o Completion of appropriate ESIF documentation (further detail will be provided to
the preferred supplier).
• Support to the SSC team in terms of:
– Creating an understand of client needs.
This will be a call-off contract and the maximum cost for the work is up to £50,000 (ex VAT). Costs should be submitted as a day-rate for work. SSC reserves the right to choose multiple suppliers for this contract.
5. Next Steps
We are now inviting organisations and consultants to submit a proposal for this work.
• A brief description of your organisation/area of work.
• A description of how you will approach the requirements for this work. Your response
should specifically comment on you experience and ability to deliver the requirements in section 3.
• Examples of any previous work which is relevant (maximum 2 examples).
• A full cost breakdown for this work including VAT. This should be a day rate.
• Work carried out during request for quotation response development is at the discretion
of the individual organisation and no reimbursement is available for said work.
6. Contract Term
It is anticipated that the contract will begin week commencing 14th January 2019 and be completed by 31st March 2021.
Please submit ONE hard copy and ONE electronic version of your proposal. (Please refer to the address details given below)
Quotations shall remain valid for a period of 90 days.
Sunderland Software City does not bind itself to accept the lowest or any quotation and reserves the right to accept a portion of any quotation unless the supplier expressly stipulates otherwise in their quotation.
7. Selection & Indicative Milestone Process
Deadline for Receipt of Proposals: 5pm 4th January 2019
Review proposals and seek any required clarifications: w/c 7th January 2019
Contract awarded : w/c 7th January 2019
The following scoring criteria will be used to evaluate bids:
Understanding of project requirements and ability to deliver, included proposed methodology : 30%
Relevant experience of staff to be involved in the project, including specific knowledge of the software sector: 35%
Value for money: 35%
Electronic version of proposal must be mailed to Laura Kennedy at
Any queries on the tender should be directed to Laura Kennedy at email@example.com