Digital Catapult North East Tees Valley is looking to recruit a User Experience Designer to support delivery of its ambitious Digital Adoption activity in partnership with the North of Tyne Combined Authority.
We are looking for someone who can deliver user experience and graphic design support to a wide range of SMEs and who will contribute to the delivery of a project of scale at pace.
We actively encourage applications from people of under-represented groups as we strive to increase diversity in our workplace.
To apply: Send a CV (max 3 sides) and cover note (max 2 sides) to Adam Hill (email@example.com)
Closing Date: 5pm, 5th February 2021
Please note we are not accepting applicants from recruitment companies at this time.
You can download the job description as a PDF, or find the full job description below:
User Experience Designer
Reports to: Head of Digital Adoption
Term: Fixed Until December 2023 (with possible extension)
Salary Range: £28,000 – £32,000
Please note that while we are currently working remotely based on government guidelines, our office is based in Sunderland and applicants will need to be able to travel to the office when premises are reopened.
Digital Catapult has a mission of accelerating the early adoption of advanced digital technologies across the UK. It does this nationally through programmes of collaboration and open innovation, aligned to a network of local centres. As a regional centre, Digital Catapult North East Tees Valley (NETV) is run by Sunderland Software City and focusses on driving adoption and economic benefit from advanced digital technologies in sectors such as manufacturing and the creative industries.
This role is part of a new programme funded through the North of Tyne Combined Authority to deliver digital adoption activities across Newcastle, North Tyneside and Northumberland, delivered by the Digital Catapult. As an employer, we support the North of Tyne “Good Work Pledge”, which involves committing to five key pillars of good working including health and wellbeing, and social responsibility.
The role will form part of our technical team supporting SMEs through the North of Tyne Digital Adoption Programme. This is an exciting opportunity to work on a wide-ranging portfolio of UX and graphic design projects with companies and organisations from all sectors helping them to further their digital maturity.
Working on individual projects and as part of a team of technology experts, the User Experience Designer will produce designs, wireframes, design briefs and prototypes for digital products built in-house and externally. Critical to ensuring that the solutions we provide are user-focused, co-designed and innovative this role will have both a customer-facing and creative production requirement.
This role is funded through the North of Tyne Combined Authority Digital Adoption programme.
- Working with colleagues to understand and assess the challenges clients are facing, and support them in designing user-focussed solutions
- Production of high-quality design briefs, design collateral, wireframes, and prototypes to support digital product development
- Design and delivery of creative workshops, educational sessions and demonstrations both internally and with clients to share knowledge and co-design new digital products and services
- Collaboration with the rest of the technical team to provide UX and graphic design input into team development projects
- Working closely with the Digital Adoption Manager to manage scheduling and ensure delivery on time and within specification
- Ability to communicate thought processes and justification for design decisions in an easy-to-understand way to colleagues and clients
- Cross-sector experience of delivering digital UX and design outputs including graphic design, wireframes and prototypes
- Understanding of the latest UX processes, best practice and development tools to provide expert opinions on how we should be working
- Experienced in the use of common design and prototyping tools such as InVision, Figma or Adobe XD, and design tools such as Sketch or Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator
- Excellent time management with the ability to provide high-level responses to challenges and add value even when delivery time is limited
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills and presentation skills
- Ability to work as part of a development team, or individually as required by the outcomes of each client project
- Understanding of the latest accessibility best practice and legislation to ensure that solutions provided are inclusive
- Experience in creating documentation, educational resources and presentations to explore design and User Experience with colleagues and clients
- Experience working with businesses and organisations from a wide range of sectors such as retail, cultural venues and the voluntary and community sector
- Experienced in software for ideating and production of specifications such as Miro, Balsamiq and Lucid Chart
- Strong knowledge of business software including the latest SaaS technology, automation and artificial intelligence
- Understanding of the possibilities with advanced technologies such as Internet of Things, Immersive Technology and Distributed Ledger Technologies